If you have had a lesson before and don’t feel the need to go over basics again, can stand for a few seconds, can ride white water waves to the beach, can turn in the white water or can ride some unbroken waves, (mostly within chest depth or when the surf is small), the IMPROVER COURSE will be right for you.
This is what you can expect.
1. MEETING: We’ll meet you down in Summerleaze beach car park, where we have our mobile surf school unit.
2. HEALTH AND SAFETY CHECK: We’ll check the Health & Safety form you have filled out and advise you appropriately
3. KITTING OUT: We’ll kit you out with a board, a warm well fitting wetsuit and accessories (hat, boots and gloves if necessary) and a high visibility identity vest.
4. CHANGING: Personal belongings can be left in our secure mobile unit.
5. WARM UP: We’ll then walk down on to the sand where you’ll be taken through a gentle warm up and surf safety information.
6. DRY LAND COACHING: We’ll then move on to a dry sand coaching session with explanations, demonstrations and student practice guided by our coaches. Exactly what we teach you will depend on your ability level based on the information you have given us. On some sessions we may get you in the water first to get an exact idea of your ability.
7. WATER COACHING: While you’re in the water our coaches will constantly help you, give you tips and advice and lots of encouragement. They may even take you back on to the beach for a little one to one coaching, take the whole group or some of the group out to go over certain areas in more detail or progress the group to the next level.
8. WHAT YOU’LL LEARN: The main areas we cover are:
• How to ride waves consistently to the beach, including standing and stance refinement and accelerating and slowing down the board.
• Turning forehand & backhand & linking these turns together (initially in the white water).
• Paddling out and getting out through waves, including understanding how rip currents work and making use of them.
• Duck diving and turtle rolling.
• Catching green waves, green wave selection and positioning.
• Surf etiquette.
• Bottom turns (fore & back hand).
• Angled take offs.
• Top turns.
• Cut backs.
9. FINAL TIPS: Towards the end of the session we’ll leave the water for a debrief where we can discuss next steps and things to practice. Then it’s time to change into your dry clothes and head off for a coffee or a beer!
• All equipment is provided free of charge, as part of your lesson. This includes a top quality, full length Gul wetsuit, hat, boots, gloves (depending on the time of year) and a soft foam, improver or custom made surfboard, depending upon your ability. We have boards of various lengths to make sure we find you the perfect vehicle on which to learn to surf.
• Custom made shortboards, mini-mals and longboards are always available but please talk to us first so we can make sure we have the right board for you. For your safety and that of those around you, we will only offer the use of a ‘hard board’ when we feel confident a student has sufficient expertise to use it safely.
• Got the bug? Great. Now it’s time to think about buying your own board. We are always stoked to be able to offer advice on what to buy, where to buy from and pass on our discounts from local suppliers.
If you would like to book more than 1 lesson, please call the office on 01288 331764